Sunday, March 1, 2015

If I were a Senator a Congressman or a Governor of a US state, here is what I would ask the Fed and the FDIC.


Why on earth can a state-chartered bank, or any other bank for that matter, operating in my state, be allowed to lend to well-rated corporations elsewhere, or to sovereign governments, holding less equity than when lending to our own local SMEs and entrepreneurs? 

I mean that does not sound right. That sounds like a regulatory tax on my “risky” borrowers, those who already get less credit and pay higher risk premiums, and a regulatory subsidy to strange “safe” borrowers, those who already get larger loans at cheaper rates.

If I were a bank regulator, the last thing I do, would be to regulate against the fair access to bank credit of "the risky" of my own hometown.